Friday, April 17, 2009

That isn't funny..

Last Friday my group did a presentation on humor in the media and where we draw the line between what's offensive and what's not. I'm really happy we chose this subject for our presentation because it's definitely changed my perspective. I now watch TV and notice all the stereotypical humor about men, women, blondes, red heads, and race. It's amazing how in almost every show they include characters based on stereotypical jokes. There's the dumb, but pretty blonde. The fat, dumb husband who can't do anything right. The mean, nagging wife who sucks the fun out of everything. The red head that gets made fun of or simply ignored. It's in almost every aspect of media. 

Now that I'm noticing these types of jokes in everything I see or watch, it's beginning to ware on me. I not finding these stereotypes as funny anymore because they are so overdone. Also, I never really laughed at the derogatory  or sexist women jokes because I thought they were stupid and rude. Why am I going to laugh at something that directly insults my own sex. It makes no sense. I have a good sense of humor, and I'll show you that I do, but not by laughing at a stupid joke that demeans women. I'm not the type of person who can fake things very easily. I am very real with people, in fact, sometimes to a fault. So I'm not going to sit back and pretend to laugh at a joke just because I feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about its contents. So that's how I'm going to shoot down sexist, demeaning jokes toward women. I'm not going to laugh. Instead I'm going to sit there in silence and hopefully make the person feel lame for telling an offensive joke. 

2 comments:

  1. I just recently watched the South Park "Gingervitis" episode with my roomate who has "ginger" hair...

    Whats puzzeling is he thought it was halarious...While he laughed and laughed...I stood there and watched...

    Mostly because the whole episode was dedicated to making fun of people with Redhair and labeled them with the disease called "Gingervitis"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post because it's important to follow our values. Why laugh at something when you know it's rude, sexist, or cruel? We need to stand up for what we believe in. I think sometimes we will make the mistake to start laughing at what someone said or at a joke that was told but then stop and say that the joke wasn't funny.

    ReplyDelete