Friday, April 10, 2009

Technology Now-a-days

After learning about all the advances in technology that are happening every single day, I began to feel overwhelmed. I just found out about Twitter, like a month ago. I had no idea what it was until I kept hearing "Twitter this" and "Twitter that" from other people, and finally I asked my roommate about it. What a weird concept. 

After thinking about Twitter, I couldn't come up with any reason why something like this would catch on, or benefit anyone in anyway. After going to class this week, I guess I was mistaken. I can really understand how Twitter could be used as an effective PR tool. It can get information out to millions of people, very quickly. I could also see how it might be useful if I was going to Disneyland and wanted to see if the lines were long or the weather was good. These examples were brought up in class and it made sense how Twitter might be useful. I haven't signed up for Twitter yet, truthfully I don't know if I will. Sometimes I feel like I already have so many things online to check everyday, why would I want ANOTHER thing to look at or waste time with when I should be doing homework. 

I don't know... All I know is that it's SO hard to keep up with our ever-changing technology. And this whole idea of being able to track people, wherever they go, with their phones, is a little too much for me. Maybe I don't want everybody to know where I am at all times. Maybe I want to remain mysterious and have a little ME time. 

Someone made a comment in class about going to his cabin and being away from all technology. I have the exact same situation. My family built a cabin in the very secluded mountains of Idaho. We own 10 acres, so we are very isolated. We don't have TV, phones, internet, anything!!! And it is GLORIOUS! Seriously, it's one of my favorite places on Earth. It's quiet and beautiful. I look forward to getting away from it all every time I go there. It's a relief to get away from the craziness of this world we live in. My dad asked my siblings and I if we were interested in getting TV at the cabin, and it was a unanimous NO! 

I agree that technology can be a great thing. It can make things easier and faster. I used technology everyday. It's hard to go an entire day without it if it's readily available to us. But getting away from it for a time, can be grand!

4 comments:

  1. I always am using technology every day. It's a blessing to be able to just call your family or friends with your cell from anywhere. It's also nice to be able to get on the internet for homework, to catch up with friends, news, sports, or anything else. I had never heard of "Twitter" before until about a month ago as well. I thought the same thing, why would I need another facebook? I can see that it can be a great tool for finding a job or anything else. I think it's crazy that we can know where anyone is in the world just with our cell phones or even that billboard in LA that you can "spray paint" words with your cell phone. It's nice to be able to take a break from technology. It can be very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes think what if the world never invented cell phones...

    Then I get a text message and the thought goes right out the window...

    I am an addict now & I love my cell phone!

    I could not live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say Im terrible at texting but I do love it. It has me addicted technology really does ruine my life. So I do my best to stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it crazy how dependent we are on technology and at the same time we aren't? We are all perfectly capable of living without all of it, but since we do have it, use it, and are addicted to it, I don't think we could survive long..:)

    ReplyDelete