Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm short, so sue me.


Talking about advertising this week and seeing a few examples of how both men and women are portrayed in the media got me to thinking. If I'm not 5' 9" and and 105 lbs, I should be hitting the gym... hard. I mean, I'm 5' 3 AND 1/2", so what's a girl, nay, a woman to do about that? I can go to the gym, all day, everyday and it's not going to make me any taller. I'm stuck with what I got, so I might as well flaunt it, right? (Just joshin').

Anyway, the point is, we're all different shapes and sizes for a reason. If we were all 5' 9" and super skinny, what fun would that be? It's a shame that the media is so focused on and obsessed with using ONLY beautiful, lean, tall people. It's not realistic and it gets a little boring if you ask me. 

Both my mom and sister are super skinny; I'm talking, it would be really hard for them to gain any weight. But, they don't look too skinny, they look good. I did not inherit the same body type as they have. I have more of an athletic build, which is fine. I don't care. I would totally take being good at sports over a super skinny body. I may not look as lean or whatever as them, but that doesn't mean I have no "skillz". 

I think it's ludicrous how everyone in the media looks so perfect. It makes me want to puke. Let's change it! Change! Change! Change!

7 comments:

  1. I agree. There's nothing wrong with appreciating the body you have and staying healthy, do what you gotta do. But it's really important, AND it take some confidence in yourself to look at advertising in the face and see it for what it really is. I think it takes mental effort to NOT buy into the stereotypical 'What is sexy?' images of totally not realistic bodies. I think a majority of people just don't know that they're being affected by it. The media will always play on that ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...As of right now I just watched the Burger King Commercial of their NEW Burger Shots...I love how they pick good looking girls & use the same dumb voice all of them...Yuck! If I hear another "They're adorable" I swear I'm going to never watch TV again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sorry the used the same dumb voice "for" all of them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sick of it, but we all contribute to it. I love the Dove ads. One of my male friends was looking through a magazine and saw the picture of the woman who was in her underwhere and a normal size and thought it was disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you in the sense of playing sports and having a certain body style. My brothers and I all have different body types but we all enjoy playing sports, but we don't all exactly match what media ads make sports stars look like. Not all football players have a six pack. Not all soccer players look the same. Another point that could be made is in relation to police officers and they way they are portrayed in the media. Sometimes on TV you see officers who look overweight and possible out of shape, but I can tell you that I don't think I've met any cops that look that way.

    And who says that we are even attracted to all the people that are portrayed on TV. Why does the media get to make that decision when I don't even think that all woman on TV are attractive, even when they might say the models on "Americas Next Top Model" or on "The Bachelor" are attractive. Some are just to skinny. Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. Let me know if this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree as well. It would be boring for sure if everyone was the same height, weight, and even had the same body shape. You can still be in good shape no matter how tall you are or how much you weigh. The media does need to change and for all of us that are really going to pursue a career in communications. We could have that influence and even choice to help change the media to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Junior high I used to have horrible body image and I really thought that if I Didn't eat and I Ran every day that I could looks like Britney Spears. I soon realized that wasn't realistic. Look at Jessica Simpson. Right now she weighs 135 lbs. That is IT. I don't even weigh 135 and the media is going around calling her fat. What sort of image does that send to girls that 135 is fat? it is healthy and honest even a little low on the BMI school. Instead of having to change for the media I think the media needs to change for its audience. something like 5% of women look like Angelina Jolie and more look just like we do.

    ReplyDelete