Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dudes and Dudettes

Talking about throwing out our bra's and women being called girls this week has given me some opinions that I didn't know I had. Not strong ones, but slight jolts of wanting to speak my mind. Not having real strong opinions on these matters, I'm just going to briefly talk about what came to my mind during our discussions this week. 

1. Throwing out our bras. Now I realize it was an expression of women's liberation while challenging the Miss America Pageant. These feminists were disgusted by women walking around in bikinis (or modest one-pieces, what have you), and being judged by how pretty they were. Oh and by how smart and articulate and blah, blah, blah (let's be real right? It's all about looks, period!). Anyway, I think these ladies wanted to shock and awe. Why else would they think to take off their bra's and swing 'em out the window? I'm going to speak for most girl's, nay, women, when I say, some of us need a little support! Ya dig, ladies? I'm all for women's rights and being treated equally to men, but if I'm going to act upon inequality, I'm not going to be taking off my bra. But again, I do get why they did it, to an extent. 

2. Women being angry when men call them girl's. Really? Come on! I'm a 21-year-old girl. I'm a 21-year-old women. I'm a 21-year-old lady. What difference does it make to me!? I don't care, call me a girl, (although I do have an affinity towards lady, it's kinda cute). But seriously, I respect myself and have enough confidence in myself to be okay with not being called a WOMAN all the time. I don't let it bother me. In fact, sometimes it still scares me a little when people call me a woman! I still feel like a 10-year-old girl sometimes.

So anyway, call me crazy, but I'm pretty laid back about the whole thing. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely from a guys stand point. I am pretty laid back too. I don't mind if people call me a boy, a guy or a man. I'm 23 years old but sometimes I do feel like a kid. It's crazy how fast time flies by. I don't even think about being offended if someone calls me a boy. That doesn't even come to my mind. It doesn't make me feel weak either. What difference does it make? There is no difference to me either. Good comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha you worded that very well Kate. Can I just say God Bless You! Seriously I thought the girl topic was ridiculous but at the same time had no passion to fight that day. I can see why women are against the Beauty pageant aswell. And for some things a stand is great. One thing about men is we don't really watch the beauty contests so i don't know who thats for. I would assume the audience is dominant female. I couldn't name one single winner of Miss USA or Universe I just know they have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I am fine with being girl, woman or lady. I feel like if a "man" said hey woman, I would feel more disrespected compared to if he said hey girl. If someone calls me maam I am going to think they are talking to my grandma.

    ReplyDelete