Friday, January 16, 2009

You Don't Know Me!!

Stereotypes are everywhere. I've stereotyped people. You've stereotyped people (c'mon don't lie). It happens. Sometimes you're right on, but most of the time you're not, or you haven't even scratched the surface of who that person is. 

Yes, someone might be a jock, but that's not the only thing they are. Someone might be a blonde, but that doesn't mean they're not smart too. I might like to play Nintendo but that doesn't mean I'm a nerd. Trying to place someone into one stereotype is like trying to push a square block through a round peg. It totally doesn't work, because it doesn't totally fit. 

I've been stereotyped as a jock because I played sports. I've been stereotyped as stuck-up because I was shy. We all have been placed into one stereotype or another. The thing I try to remember when I begin to stereotype people is that this isn't the only thing to this person. Or what I see is not necessarily what I'll get. I personally like to surprise people. After I know they've put a label on me, as quiet or sporty or whatever, I slowly begin to show them who I really am. I can be funny. I can be sarcastic. I can be a little dramatic. I can talk about and enjoy things outside of sports. Who knew?! 

The great thing about stereotypes is that we can't prevent them from happening, but we can prove them wrong. Not only that we can break out of those stereotypes and show people that we are way too awesome and complex to be summed up in just one word. HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME!!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that stereotypes are not always accurate. The problem with them is most of the time they are. That is why stereotypes occur. Making assumptions are not always a bad thing either. Situational times it would be smart to use stereotypes. For example if you are alone late at night and spot someone who is walking in a dark alley way, who is wearing all black and for some reason your instincts tell you that this person is unsafe you should probably listen to it. They can guide us in the right direction in some scenarios. This man may be lost or just felt like taking a walk to get some stress off. But by stereotyping him and using common sense you can avoid some potentially bad situations. When you are stereotyping for the wrong reasons of assuming all people are one way without learning for yourself it can be a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, I cant help but think the exact same thing, I would be frieked out if a guy was walking down the alleyway looking for attention. No Thanks! Steroetypes are everywhere. In class we talked about this a little bit, how Asians are "smart." Im sure a big chunk of them are, but the other day on campus I saw an Asian smoking, which indicates that he probably isn't the smartest guy, by stereotyping him, of course we would think that. maybe he is the most intelligent guy on campus, but its the stereotyping that cripples us of our thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% about what you said with stereotypes. I sell cars for one of my jobs and a couple came in to buy a car. Their hair was all messy and their clothes were all baggy, plus they looked like they were 18 years old. Turns out they were 21 and they were approved for a car and I sold a car to them. I assumed that they would not have any money or credit experience but they did. I am guilty of it as well. You never know who people really are from what you just see but you have to talk to them and get to know them better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that statement about stereotype, "we can't prevent them from happening but we can prove them wrong." My sister loves doing this. She is about 5,7 blonde, petite, has tatoos down her arms and wears black leather jackets and hardcore metal tshirts. She smokes like cancer doesn't exist and swears in everyday speech like it's the norm. She's also a head chef in a prestigious restaurent, loves a pristine and perfect colored foundation make-up, is a soon to be pro pool player,is really passionate about books, and i really would'nt want to bump into her down a dark alley when she's drunk. There is just so much to every individual. I think one of the words that we all missed that would apply to all the stereotypes, is "Complicated". there is no black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good, Kate. You're on the right track here. I'd like you to think more about the implications of stereotyping. What happens to people when they are stereotyped, for good or bad? What happens to the people who do the stereotyping? How does this effect the way we function as a society?

    ReplyDelete