Friday, January 30, 2009

I do what I want


Talking about gender and roles this week in class got me thinking about my own role as a girl in society. Growing up, I wasn't the typical girl. I didn't like to play with dolls or Barbie's. I didn't like to play "dress up" or wear bows in my hair. Instead I liked to play sports. I liked swords, guns, Ninja Turtles, Legos and GI Joe's. My best friend was a boy. I still played with girls, but I had less in common with them as far as interests go. When it comes to the portrayal of girls in the media, I was not acting according to my gender role.  

I was labeled as a "tom boy," which I really hated. I didn't understand why I would be considered a "tom boy" just because I liked playing sports and playing with Lego's. The only reason I was called this is because I wasn't doing "girly" things. At the time, I didn't know what I was doing was out of the ordinary, according to society. All I knew was that I liked certain things more than others. 

Today, I have broken out of the "tom boy" label and would be considered an "ordinary" girl. But that doesn't mean that I still don't love sports. Gender roles are stupid, enough with this "Tough Guise" crap. I think if a guy wants to wear pink, he should wear pink. And if I want to play swords, then I'll freakin' play swords. 

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Kate, I agree with you 100%. I have never agreed with the term "tom-boy" given to girls who do "boy" labeled activities. Girls who get out there and play sports and will wield a sword with the best of them deserve some serious props. My wife grew up the same way you did for the most part, and that is a major part of what attracted me to her. Also some guys can rock the pink, others cannot so we should not proclaim pink should be a universal guy apparel color. Shhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that last line! "i'll freakin play wih swords." ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting that you said that you thought of your role as a girl in society. You mentioned you were a girl, not a woman as we kind of touched on in class. I have really tried to call women by that term instead of girls since that class. I also agree that pink is a color that some look good wearing while others don't. I am still more of the type that I wouldn't wear pink though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. Coming from a fellow "tom-boy" i understand you not understanding why it was so wrong to like the same things that boys like when you were young. and i agree, lets not let any more boys at this school think its okay to rock the pink.... wearing pink dosnt make you more secure in your man-hood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you completely as well. My three sisters all played sports growing up and in high school. They all played with barbie dolls and cars. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I don't think they would need to be called "tom-boys" but they were still called that. Except one of them and I think it's because people thought she acted more girly. I agree too about males and pink. I wear pink sometimes. I own a couple pink shirts and I think three pink ties. If a guy wears pink, it doesn't mean he is gay or "weak". Gender roles can definitely be dumb and pointless.

    ReplyDelete