Friday, January 23, 2009

Congratulations President Barack Obama.

barack-obama-official-small.jpg

This past Tuesday, January 20, 2009 we inaugurated our 44th president into office. But as we all know, it was more than just an inauguration, it was history in the making. I don't know about all of you but I maybe even got goose-bumps as I was watching our FIRST African-American President being sworn in. 

On the night of the election, after Obama had secured his victory, I wrote something so I could remember that night and how I felt. Here is what I wrote:

"I now politics are a touchy subject. Believe me, I know. I live in Provo, Utah of all places. Living in such a conservative state, I try to avoid any talk of politics. But today I feel inclined to say a little something regarding today's election results. 

Today Senator Barack Obama was elected to be President of the United States. Regardless of political parties, it was an historic day for America. Today we elected our first African-American President, a major breakthrough in U.S. history. Although it has been a tumultuous few years, I still feel so proud to be an American. Today was a big stepping stone toward equality. America was able to put race aside and elect the person they felt most suited for the job. When just decades ago people of other races didn't have the right to vote. We have come a long way. I sincerely hope the next four years will be better than the last. "

I'm glad I took the time to sit down that night and write how I felt. It gives me the opportunity to look back, 20 years down the road, and tell my kids what that day meant to me, and America. 

Although I think that President Obama has his work cut out for him in the next four years, I do believe that he will do a great job and bring this country out of our current recession. Change has come to America, that is for sure. 

4 comments:

  1. I too am excited about what President Obama can bring to our country. However, this "change" that everyone talks about will not happen in a matter of months. This "change" has people believing that they won't have to pay their mortage or any of there other bills. I'm all for change, but I'm not expecting President Obama to just come in and be able to change things right away like some are thinking.

    I look forward to the next four years to see what comes about. Although I don't agree with everything that the President stands for, I'll support hime because he is my President and now is the time to unite as one to conquer the struggles that our country is facing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post. I too am excited about Barrack and the oppurtunity for change. I pose to you one question. You said in your post, "America was able to put race aside and elect the person they felt most suited for the job." I feel Obama set himself apart from past African-American candidates such as Jesse Jackson, but were there people that voted or did not vote for Obama because of his color? Although I feel Obama is the man, do you really feel that we put race aside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched the video of Pres. Obama's Inauguration today, Wednesday the 28th for the first time. I was out of the country riding horses in Jamaica when he was being sworn in. I listened to his speech today and I too have to say that I got a little emotional as I sat in the UVU library at the computer listening to his words. I didn't ever think I would see an African-American president elected in this country. In that aspect, it really is "change" and I just hope now he can lead this country in the right direction as well as he can deliver a emotional, powerful speech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I watched the Inauguration I wasn't very emotional in fact, I was disappointed that the whole thing had flaws in it. The great Rockstar Obama even messed up himself. I think that they should have redone the swearing in of the "new" president.

    ReplyDelete